There are currently two ways of creating a website with Deskish.
- Create multiple individual "desks" and connect them via hyperlinks (i.e. www.achtundzwanzig.at).
- Reinterpret your Deskish blog as a one-page website with multiple "sections" (i.e. www.lennyleiter.com).
1. Create multiple individual "desks" and connect them via hyperlinks
First, you need to create all your website's individual pages (a.k.a."desks") including a home page ("home desk"). To then connected all the individual pages, you need to convert some desk items (images, texts, or freehand sketches) into hyperlinks (buttons) that lead to the other desks. In order to do so, please follow these steps:
- Open a target desk and get its URL by clicking the blue "Share deskname" button in the top menu bar (if you already have the URL, proceed with step 3). Why? This is necessary because a desk remains personal and inaccessible to others, until it's shared (to learn more about a desk's rights & permissions settings go to How can I share a desk with other people?).
- After clicking "Publish!", you are presented with the desk's unique URL. Copy the URL to your clipboard.
- Go to the source desk (i.e. the home page) and select the image, text or freehand sketch that should be turned into a button (i.e. a menu item).
- Paste the copied URL into the blue input field in the property box and hit enter. That's it! From now on, visitors can simply click on the item to go to the pasted URL.
Hint: If you want to experience how it feels for others, you can always activate the preview by clicking the eye in the top bar ().
- Repeat the steps 1-5 for every connection you want to make.
- And finally: Share your "home desk" in order to get its URL, too. If you want to forward a domain to your newly created website, read this article.
2. Reinterpret your Deskish blog as a one page website with multiple "sections"
All registered users have their own blog page that shows all their public desks in order of creation. The blog can be found under www.deskish.com/username. In order to reinterpret the blog as a one page website, do the following:
- Come up with a list of all the sections you want to appear on your website.
- Create a desk for every section on your list.
Please note: The blog's desks are always shown in order of their creation, which cannot be changed. Therefore, it is a good idea to create a few extra desks in-between the ones you plan to publish – just in case you want to add more sections later (since you keep them private, they won't appear on your desk).
- Design all the sections (desks), one by one.
- Publish all the sections (desks) via the blue "Share deskname" button in the top menu bar, one by one.
All your desks should now appear on your blog (www.deskish.com/username). If you want to forward a domain to your newly created website, continue reading below.
Mapping your own domain onto a Deskish url is currently not possible. However, it's fairly easy to forward your own domain to your blog or a single desk. To find out how, read this article.